Just a short ferry ride from Port Judith and other coastal cities along the Block Island Sound is an island paradise worth visiting this winter. Of course, there’s no better place to enjoy a little romantic escape than our Block Island hotels – but there are also plenty of fun things to do on Block Island this winter, including exploring Old Harbor on Block Island.
As the ferry pulls into the Island, you’ll be treated to beautiful views of the Island’s rocky coastline. As you unload from the ferry, the charms of the Old Harbor Historic District will be waiting for you. Before you have a chance to walk around and explore the Old Harbor on Block Island, though, you’ll need to get settled. Luckily, our Block Island hotels are a short walk away!
Our Block Island hotels, a collection made of two charming Inns and private vacation cottages, comprise some of the only beachfront lodging on Block Island. We’re conveniently located near the Old Harbor Historic District and the Block Island Ferry, but with expansive ocean views spreading out before you, you’ll feel as though you’re a million miles away in all the best ways.
Discover Old Harbor on Block Island
Old Harbor on Block Harbor was first constructed in the 1870s on the eastern shores of the Island. You’ll find New Harbor and the Great Salt Pond on the Island’s west side. This is among the most popular harbors for private boats and tour companies. Over 1,500 boats pull in and out of New Harbor in the summer!
Old Harbor on Block Island, however, still serves as the main port entrance not only for the Block Island ferry but for various private and commercial fishing operations as well. Old Harbor on Block Island is also where you’ll find most of the area’s shops, restaurants, and commercial activity.
After its construction in the late 1800s, many Victorian homes and hotels were built around the Old Harbor Historic District on Block Island. Many of these buildings still stand today, as Old Harbor on Block Island was recognized as a National Register Historic Site decades ago in 1974. Today, the streets of Old Harbor on Block Island still share their historic charm with all you come here. Below, we’ve listed a few of our favorite things to see and do in the Old Harbor Historic District.
- Of the many things to do in Old Harbor on Block Island, a must is to visit as many charming shops as possible. Many of these shops are situated inside historic buildings from the 1800s, which lends them an extra air of charm.
- Take in the views from the Oceanview Pavillion, built on the historic site of the Old Oceanview Hotel. It’s just steps away from the Block Island ferry but offers a beautiful view of the coastline and the Block Island wind farm.
- Head up Spring Street a little ways from the Oceanview Pavillion, and you’ll find one of our favorite things to do on Block Island – visiting the 1661 Farm and Gardens. The gardens are spectacular during the summer, but this place is worth visiting even in the winter. They also happen to host one of the top restaurants on Block Island.
- There’s some really excellent history about Block Island. It was first settled in the 1600s, with a subsequent boom after Old Harbor on Block Island was built in the late 1800s. Learn more about this vital history at the Block Island Historical Society’s museum & gallery.
- So much of Block Island has been preserved, and one of these pristine habitats is located in Old Harbor on Block Island. Visit the Solviken Preserve. It’s one of the newer properties to come under conservation and offers beautiful views of the ocean and the Harbor Ponds.
- Attached to the Solviken Preserve is Crescent Beach. This is a popular spot on the edge of Old Harbor in Block Island, and it goes by many names: Mansion Beach, Fred Benson Town Beach, Baby Beach, and Surf Beach. It’s an excellent place for a quick stroll on the beach and offers lovely views of the town and jetty around the Old Harbor Historic District.
Here’s a walking tour map to help you make the most of your journey around Old Harbor on Block Island. For many, this is all they see of our charming paradise. There is so much more to Block Island, though – and you can explore it all when you stay at one of our gorgeous Block Island hotels.
The Best Block Island Hotels Near Old Harbor
Just a short walk from Old Harbor on Block Island, you’ll find one of the best Block Island hotels and private vacation cottages. Winter is a wonderful time to get away to our historic Island, where you’ll find the perfect blend of activities and tranquility. There are, of course, many things to do on Block Island this winter, but chief among them is enjoying the view and the hospitality at our Block Island hotels.
Whether you choose our couple’s only destination of Avonlea, our family-friendly Blue Dory Inn, or our intimate vacation cottages, you’d be hard-pressed to find anything that beats relaxing walks on our extensive nature trails or quiet afternoons combing the winter beaches.
Not only do we offer some of the most comprehensive lodging on Block Island, but our Block Island hotels are some of the only beachfront lodging properties on the entire Island. Visiting us is like coming home – you’ll see and feel the difference and know why many of our guests return year after year.
Stay at our Block Island Hotels, and you’ll enjoy all the creature comforts you crave from home, including a wonderful range of modern amenities. We’ve thought of everything, so you don’t need to do anything but focus on relaxing, unwinding, and enjoying our beachfront paradise. Block Island is the perfect place to unwind and escape this winter. Book your room with us today!