There are so many fantastic things to do on Block Island, from grand adventures to quiet afternoons on the beach. With 17 miles of pristine beaches, stunning lighthouses and bluffs towering above the ocean, winding trails through the island’s protected areas, and an unbeatable atmosphere that sets the perfect stage for relaxation, what’s not to love about a fall getaway to this charming island paradise?
From the moment you step off the Block Island Ferry, you’ll feel as though you’ve stepped back in time to the popular summer destinations of days gone by. Generations of families have been coming here since the 1800s, and it’s easy to see why. Not only are there so many things to do on Block Island, but you’ll be surrounded by jaw-droppingly beautiful scenery everywhere you turn. So much of the island has been protected to retain its quintessential island charm.
Our Block Island Bed and Breakfasts & Cottages are right on the beach and just a short walk from the ferry. Within minutes of your arrival on the Block Island Ferry, you can relax in our little island paradise and enjoy the best getaway of the year. We offer a range of accommodations, from family and pet-friendly bed and breakfasts or cottages to an adults-only Inn on the beach. You can find exactly what you’re looking for from our collection of Inns. Book your getaway today!
The Best Things to Do on Block Island
Though we love Block Island any time of year, we think fall getaways are exceptional. There are still plenty of things to do on Block Island in the fall, but there are far fewer crowds here at this time of year, leaving you much more time to relax and enjoy our island paradise. At times, it may even feel like you have the island to yourselves!
Whether you want your getaway packed with adventure or filled with lazy days and good books by the beach, you’ll love a getaway to our Block Island Bed and Breakfasts. We’re one of the only lodging properties actually located on the beach, and we’re close to many of the best things to do on Block Island. There’s a reason families have been returning to our Inns for generations! Below, we’ve listed our favorite things to do on Block Island this fall.
- You can’t come to Block Island without walking our trails. They are all over the island, taking you to breathtaking vistas everywhere you turn. No wonder they are rated as one of the best things to do on Block Island! These trails, and the protected lands they cross, also inspired the Nature Conservancy to call Block Island one of the “last great places” in the Western Hemisphere.
- You can walk all over the island on these trails, but you can also rent a bike in town and take to the roads, touring magnificent landscapes as you ride. There’s a great 7.5-mile bike tour that takes you to all the top sights around the island.
- One of the best things to do on Block Island is to visit the beach. With seventeen miles of beaches around the island, all of which are public, it’s easy to find your own quiet spot. That’s even more true in the fall when the crowds are fewer.
- Visit the gorgeous red brick Southeast Light, one of two Block Island Lighthouses. It offers excellent ocean views, of course, but also the Block Island Windfarm, located just offshore.
- When you’re done at the lighthouse, walk along the top of Mohegan Bluffs, and take the 141 steps down to the beach. It’s one of the most stunning beaches on the island and is one of the best things to do on Block Island.
- The North Light on the other end of Block Island is equally as impressive, offering magnificent coastal views. There’s a museum worth visiting here, too, open on weekends between Memorial and Columbus Day.
- With so many protected habitats here, Block Island always has excellent birdwatching. Fall is one of the best seasons for it, though. We recommend you visit the Block Island National Wildlife Refuge near the North Light.
- Get out on the water! Whether you want to surf, sail, kayak, or fish, getting out on the water is one of the best things to do on Block Island. You can enjoy time on the Block Island Sound or one of the 365 ponds around Block Island!
- Enjoy a walking tour of Block Island’s Old Harbor. It’s one of the best things to do on Block Island, especially if you don’t bring a car!
- Take your time to browse the shops, art galleries, and more in the Old Harbor district of town. A seasonal farmers market on Saturdays and Wednesdays through September offers a wonderful glimpse into local life on Block Island.
Savor the Moment at our Block Island Bed and Breakfast
Though there are so many wonderful things to do on Block Island, many come here to escape the fast-paced, overstimulating world they left behind on the mainland. Accordingly, many of our guests love relaxing, unwinding, and enjoying the slower pace of life they find here. Our Block Island Bed and Breakfasts are perfect for that!
Whether you’re taking a vacation with your kids, looking for a place that will accommodate family and friends, or would prefer a more intimate couple’s escape, you’ll find it from our collection of Block Island Bed and Breakfasts and vacation cottages. The Blue Dory Inn and our Block Island Vacation Cottages are perfect for families and those traveling with pets, while Avonlea is perfect for couples and intimate, romantic escapes.
Regardless of the property you choose, you’ll find from our collection of Block Island Bed and Breakfasts one of the best places to stay on the island. We’re one of the only properties offering beachfront access, all within walking distance from the ferry, shops, and restaurants. Couple our convenient beachfront location with exceptional hospitality, personalized service, and unrivaled attention to detail, and you can see why we’re rated as one of the best places to stay on Block Island.
Families have been staying at our Block Island Bed and Breakfasts for generations. We’d love to welcome you into our family this fall and show you all the best things to do on Block Island. Book your room with us today!